29 February 2008

teenagers or kids, that is the question...

So, the biggest fight I've had with my mom (so far) about the wedding is that my fh and I don't want to invite kids. Here is the post I just left on weddingbee:

So, after incessant fighting with my mother I have given in to one of her demands-- technically we compromised, but now I have another problem. My fh and I did not want to invite kids to the wedding and our definition of a child is anyone under the age of 18. The compromise is that we will now allow teenagers at the wedding, which is apparently defined as anyone 13 or older.
So, here is the problem... How do I word that on an invitation??? What if one family has a 15 yr old, a 13 yr old, and a 10 yr old?? How do I now exclude one, but not the others? Not inviting kids was easy, address the envelope to the invited adults and put "adult reception immediately following ceremony" at the bottom of the invite. Now I have no idea what to do???

I need to order my invitations by the end of this month. Apparently, I have already hurt some family members feelings because my mother told people that we were not inviting kids. I don't know why she did that -- up until this point we'd only been TALKING about it, no decisions had been made. This is all very frustrating. Ugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw man......

i dont have any applicable advice. i really have no idea how you could word that on an invitation....perhaps on your website if you guys have one?

but i can feel your pain. my grandmother has pretty much verbally invited the majority of my mothers side of the family. and its a ton of them.

and our guest list will have about 125 people on it. so i am not sure whats gonna happen there. i figure, i will let my grandmother absorb the faux pas. bc i'm not the one who "invited" them.

Guilty Secret said...

Oh dear, what a nightmare. I'm assuming now you have your invites you've decided what to do about this and I'd love to hear how you resolved it...